Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

Sandwich Cook-off



To bat at this particular cook-off are Ben and again, Miss Kaitlyn (me).  The ingredients are eggs and basil.  We decided this time (and for all future cook-offs) that taste will be worth 10 points rather than 5.  We think that this will result in more accurate judgement.

I made a homemade challah (egg bread), which I spread with homemade basil mayonaise.  The sandwich contained granny smith apple, arugula, heirloom tomatoes, fresh basil, and farmers' market bacon.  I included a small side salad of arugula and apple dressed with olive oil and salt, a basil deviled egg, and cherry basil ice cream.


My plate.

Ben's sandwich was pretty incredible as well.  


He made a panko crusted salmon with cucumber from his garden, arugula (we both have a great deal of love for this green), heirloom tomatoes, and a fresh pesto aoli.  He served it with a fresh caprese salad and these AMAZING kale chips.  


Ben's plate.  (We're sorry for the crappy iPhone pictures, our resident photographer Jenny gets back from Nebraska tomorrow [!!!])  

Overall, I won in all three categories, all by very small margins.  I was promised a piece of golden toast.  Excellent.  My recipes will be posted tomorrow.  (I'm also including Ben's recipe for kale chips because they are fantastic and I've been eating crazy amounts of them since Saturday.) 

Next up:  Jonathan and Tara go head to head with SOUP!

No comments:

Post a Comment